Monday, December 20, 2010

Kalmthout WC and the Good Days

Yesterday was the Kalmthout World Cup, my first race of the camp.  We woke up to a bit more snow and it continued to snow off and on all day.  The drive to the race went surprisingly fast.  Snow often has a way of shutting down Belgium.  The course was similar to last year, but with a few more turns.  It was fun to ride in the slippery conditions.  Unfortunately I didn't have a great race, finishing in 52nd place.  I suppose that leaves a lot of room for improvement in next week's WC in Zolder.  Here is a photo from Kalmthout.
Today consisted of an nice easy ride to one of my favorite places in Belgium, the city or Kortrijk which is not too far from Izegem.  As much as I love all the hard days of training, they make me love the easy days even more.  Fortunately with all of the racing during EuroCrossCamp there are a lot of easy training days in between with room for fun. A new record of fun and deliciousness for me was set today in Kortrijk.  Not one, but two stops within the city.  First we got some coffee, then put the gloves back on for the short jaunt over to the waffle shop.  There were six of us on the ride today and I'm sure we look like a bunch of clowns on these days.  But we are all certainly having a good time.   These are the good days. How can this not be a good time?
 Here my snow machine waiting for waffle consumption to be completed.
It was even sunny in Belgium today, which seems like a rarity.  Of course it was welcomed though and made the easy ride that much more enjoyable.  If you readers have any questions or want to know about some specific areas of my experiences over here let me know in the comments!

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Steve,
Sweet blog man. Keep up the fun times on two wheels.
When you get cold, just play this song to warm you right back up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJcSKMACPd8

-Patrick