Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Tour de Namur Stages 1-3


My apologies that it’s been a while since I’ve updated here.  I could make excuses, but I try to avoid those.  I’ll just tell you that I couldn’t be bothered to blog during the 5-day long Tour de la Province de Namur.  The racing was going well so I conserved energy by limiting myself to 140 characters at a time on Twitter.  Allow me to bring you all up to speed before some delayed race reporting.  I feel like I’ve got some good fitness again and the team has asked me to stay in Europe longer.  After Namur finished I got in a car and drove to Switzerland.  I’m now staying at the top of Bernina Pass, about 7,500 feet high, in the SE corner of Switzerland. I’ve never been this high before in my life with the exception of airplanes.  But there is pretend air on airplanes and also no stairs to walk up leaving you out of breath. There are 5 other riders here doing a little training camp.  On Sunday we will do a one-day race in Italy.  Then after that my future is pretty uncertain.  I might be staying longer and doing some big bike races, or I might be headed home.  I’ll let you know as soon as I know.  Here is part 1 of my report from Namur:

Stage 1
The first stage of any stage race is always a little crazy and this was not exception.  The first hour of racing was fast with lots of attacks, but nothing stuck.  The biggest climb of the day was midway through the race and I hit that in good position.  I followed a guy on the Fuji Test Team and before we knew it we had a small gap to the field.  Then shortly after none other than Kennett Peterson had come across to us.  This being the only “Cat 1” climb of the day I knew the first guy over the top had a good chance of taking the KOM jersey at the end of the stage.  I sprinted for a red polka-dotted sign after we’d been climbing for a while.  That signed turned out to be informing us that the real line for the sprint was still 1000m away.  Then Kennett sprinted for some other white line on the ground.  Then shortly there after that the Fuji guy sprinted for a white line at the ground where a moto official had stopped to watch the proceedings.  He was the true winner and would go on to take the KOM jersey.

Kennett "Catfish" Peterson racing for the Flanders team in red.
What happened next is sort of the important part.  I guess we’d gone up this climb pretty fast, and what was left of the field behind had also gone fast in pursuit of us.  We were left with a group of about 40 riders over the top and down the other side of the climb.  There was some pretty disorganized work to keep us ahead of the main peloton, but soon enough our gap was up to about 2 minutes.  We still had about 75k to the finish so we needed to get a little more organized.  Fast forward through a lot of Belgians yelling, gesturing, and not doing their share of the work.  There was a short steep climb with 20k left in the stage where it split again.  I dug deep to make the split of 16 riders and most everyone worked well to establish our new gap.  Attacking started again with just under 10k left in the stage.  I was feeling good and didn’t want to let anyone get away.  I covered move after move in what turned out to be the hardest finale I’ve ever taken part in.  I think I was a bit gassed for the sprint and too far back.  I finished 11th on the stage and in a great position for the rest of the race.

Trying to keep the front group moving up a small climb with a ways to go still.

Stage 2
For whatever reason I don’t remember a ton about this stage while writing about it a week after it happened.  Perhaps the most memorable moment was arriving at the race, unzipping my bag, and immediately realizing that I’d forgotten to bring bib shorts.  Real terror and panic!!!  If you don’t race bikes, imagine if you’d shown up to your quarter-final high-school basketball game and forgotten your right hand.  Yes, you are right handed too!  I needed some bibs like you needed your right hand.  One of my teammates had an extra pair, thing is they were size large.  So 40min before the start and the photograph below is where I’m at.


Thankfully with the help of our director I was able to get some slightly smaller plain black shorts before the start.  The feeling of forgetting your shorts is terrible.  Probably almost as bad as forgetting your shoes.  I’m knocking on wood right now though cause I’ve never done that, yet.  Okay, so then the race happened.  I made a huge effort to get across to what I thought was another winning split through some crosswinds with less than 20k to go.  Unfortunately we hit a less windy part of the course and it all came back together.  We finished up a very gradual 2k climb.  I finished somewhere in the 30’s on the same time as the other GC contenders.

Stage 3
This was my favorite stage of the race.  The flattest of all the days, we thought it would probably end in a bunch sprint.  Think again!  There was a rather small climb 25k into the 150k stage that turned the race absolutely upside down.  We went up the climb pretty hard, hard enough to string out the pack.  It was really over the top of the climb where it was windy that things got crazy.  Before I knew it I was rotating through in a lead group of 35 riders with one of my USA teammates, Eamon.  The yellow jersey wearer had been caught out along with a few other fast guys.  Almost immediately we had 2.5 minutes on the chasing field and the group was working well together.  With still 125k to go I did my best to save energy, but also not let the group slow down much.  The gap grew a little bit more as we rode through head or head crosswinds for most of the day.  By the time we reached the 20k finish circuit I knew the damage was done and our group would go all the way to the finish.  There were some attacks in the last 15k, but nothing gained too much ground and the Rabobank Off-Road team seemed in control of the group. I was really looking forward to giving the finish a go.  There were several turns in the final kilometer and I thought my chances this group were decent.  There was 1 rider off the front by himself by a handful of seconds when we hit 1k to go.  He crashed in a narrow corner with 800m to go and I got shuffled back a bit too far as we navigated around him and his bike.  Eamon tried his best to move me back up, but I had to do most of my sprinting to close a small gap with 600m to go.  I think I finished 11th on the stage again.  Great day for my GC position, moving me into 6th overall.  I was a bit proud of myself for riding so well in the wind today as well.  I felt like I’d really used the skills I’ve learned over the past several weeks in regards to positioning and recognizing the key moments of the race.

Take a moment and look at everything going on in this photo.  They guy(s) with the yellow flag ride ahead on motorcycles and stop in order to signal turns or traffic furniture.  If you can find me in this picture you'll see there is no way my bike is pointed towards the apex of that corner.  I made my own apex on the sidewalk. I've learned some things the Belgian way.

No comments: